View Single Post
Old 07-21-2013, 02:14 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 2,677 Times in 1,217 Posts
Default Re: BEWARE OF THE FIDDLEBACK SPIDER

Not everywhere. Will try posting a map pic. If it doesn't show up, just do a search for brown recluse habitat.

Traps are available from Amazon and on ebay. I am sure there are other sources, but I bought 10 of the 5 packs, placing my order later that night, after our second trip to the ER. Sherri's temp shot up to 103, and the pain was getting unbearable. She wasn't complaining, but when I saw tears running down her face, took her back for some iv pain meds.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brown-Recluse-Sp...#ht_1230wt_1043

SUPPOSEDLY, there is a cure. The medical community has not embraced it. A retired doc down in Texas claims that if you are bitten, you can hit the bite area with a stun gun and it will effectively neutralize the venom. I am posting a link to an article. However, be warned that I have tried to contact Dr. Abrams and am convinced he is at the least retired. Tha link to "his" website that is provided in this article sends you to a generic minor emergency referral service. Take it with a grain of salt. Remember, the web isn't just the information superhighway, it is also the misinformation superhighway.

So, does the stun gun work? I have no idea. But.... I bought one. If I get bit, I am taking three hits with it at the bite mark rotating 120 degrees each time. It is worth going limp even if there is only a CHANCE I don't have to go through what Sherri is going through.

http://insects.about.com/b/2008/12/2...y-the-pain.htm

By the way, a cat is not an option for us, because Sherri is highly allergic. But if you are a cat person, I understand that cats will eat fiddlebacks and suffer no consequences.
Attached Images