View Single Post
Old 06-16-2023, 02:15 AM

Thanked 2,048 Times in 648 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67since67 View Post
My take on this may well not align with others thoughts here.

A CE block installed as a warranty replacement when the car was near new, in an otherwise real, legit, documented car, would be ok, but with an appropriate price adjustment. My feeling is that it's part of the legitimate history of the car. In the dealership where I was employed in the late '60's forward it was daily routine for a warranty engine replacement in some Chevy. I have a CE block in my garage.

A Yenko, COPO, Corvette, or other ultra rare muscle car with the original block unavailable, a real engine from a similar car is OK, but I'd really have to want it.

A "stamper" engine will never cross my threshold, under any circumstances!

I have walked away from otherwise great cars (ie '67 Chevelle L78) due to the last two scenario's.

Just my thoughts. - Bill W
If a car doesn't have the original engine I'd rather have a CE block in it than a dated block with the wrong VIN too Bill. I know a dated block will get you more points at certain shows but I don't show my cars so that's not an issue for me.

I wasn't around back then but I've talked to a lot of guys that were and every single one of them has told me the same thing, if given the option back in the day to have the original engine rebuilt by the dealer under warranty, or to have a new engine installed, every single one of them picked the new engine over having their original engine repaired back then because nobody was worried about originality or numbers matching. That doesn't get talked about much these days, but it's one of the biggest reasons I'd rather have a CE block over a dated block if the original is MIA.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to carnut4life For This Useful Post:
169indy (06-17-2023), 67since67 (06-16-2023), PeteLeathersac (06-16-2023), ruralrte66 (06-16-2023)