Thread: 70 LS6
View Single Post
Old 02-03-2004, 02:28 AM

Default Re: 70 LS6

I think it is unfortunate that the "speculators" and folks that are not true enthusiast have driven the prices to the levels that they are. This only encourages the fraud and desception that is going on. While I don't think it really matters to some whether their car is a "clone" or "fake" or that the documents are "bogus" it ultimatly hurts all in the hobby. Anytime people are trying to get magazine coverage or enhance a reputation as "the guy with all the cool cars," by passing off bogus cars it trickles down to the guys that just want to own the car of their dreams. For every guy that has the funds to absorb the loss on a bogus car, there are dozens that it ruins and causes them to loose interest in old cars. The thing I think that is important to remember is that while Yenkos, COPO's and the liek are hot now and people will pay big money for them...will they always??? Doubtful...What happens when the market takes a downward turn and all of the "speculators" and guys that routinely trade cars amongst themselves in the hopes of making a turd into a creampuff get out?? The "little guy" that is fortunate enough to buy what he thinks is a "good" car gets hurt unless he does homework..I had to tell a Yenko owner this weekend some info that I think he already knew..that his 100k+ investment was more than likely a re-body...Now for him, it might not be a big deal..for me it would have amounted to a huge loss...Until the hobby forgets the dollar signs and the true enthusiast reclaims the market there will always be the crooks.

It is interesting the amount of info I found out over the last few days regarding Yenkos/COPO's and the number of cars that are in "big name" colelctions that have questionable histories..Some own them because they don't care, some don't know, and some don't want to know..What really hurts is when these cars get passed around among others in the "know" and the prices go up each time and the "history" gets cloudier... It is ultimatly up to us to make sure that we "police" ourselves and the cars.