View Single Post
Old 09-25-2008, 06:19 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default Re: Open car trailer size

I would not do fiberglass fenders!!! In fact, I would stay away from removable fenders all together. A friend of mine had a tire go out on his open Featherlite. It had the removable drivers fender and when the tire blew, it knocked the fender off and into the car!!! That was an aluminium fender. I believe a fiberglass fender would have shattered and he would have had a tire 'gator' slapping the car!!! Some guys will use 2 or 3 2"x8" or 2"x10" boards stair-stepped so that the car will have enough clearance for the fender. Then there are the tilt back trailers and the roll back trailers that cause the fender to not be so much of an issue. Whatever you do, spend the money and get brakes on both axles and look at how the ramps are attached. If they just lay down and are not permanately attached, please take the time and drill some holes and put some pins in so that the ramp does not jump off while you are trying to load and unload the car.

Sorry about the rant, but I have seen too many issues with trailers and cars not getting along. I do not want your ride to be a victim.

Rusty Small