View Single Post
Old 07-03-2021, 03:15 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubleyman View Post
Good thread going with many cool rigs out there…

Looking at my saved photos it made me realize I have hundreds of pics with cars on trailers, but only a couple that actually include the tow vehicle as well.

Since the 70’s my tow rig has been anything that I owned and ran and had a hitch on it… but mostly El Caminos and Chevy / GMC trucks.

Worst tow rig: my ’68 L89 Camaro convertible towing my roommates ’71 429 SCJ Mustang after he blew the clutch at Fremont Raceway. I really wish I had pics of this past misadventure of towing. Used a rented clamp-on tow bar that ripped off his front rubber bumper as we made a sharp right turn to get on the freeway. Luckily the Mustang ended up buried in a drainage ditch and didn’t shoot straight across the lanes of traffic.

Best regular use tow rig: My 2001 GMC 2500HD 4X4 Crew cab. Ordered it new with the 8.1L gas engine and Allison trans. Great for pulling cars trailers or fifth wheel campers. After 20 years of use it only has 140K miles on it. It’s a solid rust free truck that has never been wrecked or had any issues (other than gulping fuel), so the wife says I can’t spend $80K just to get a new truck with Blue Tooth and a backup camera….

Best specific use tow rig: GMC hauler and Chaparral trailer. Hauled two midyear Corvette race cars easily. Only truck I have ever seen with three option stickers in the glove box. Engine lacked power but otherwise the hauler package was awesome.
Charlie, great story about the Mustang. Glad it wasn’t a real disaster.

Man I love the black Chaparral. I want one really bad for my square body dually. Have any more pics of it inside and out?

Thanks,
Bill