View Single Post
Old 04-22-2022, 04:29 PM

Time for the yearly update, and it's... not a good one.

As you all know, the car has never gone into the shop like we've been saying for years.

Which means it's still knocking like a Jehovah's witness, and still has faulty brakes.

The reason was I never wanted to push too hard for Pappaw to do it- technically his car, his money, but it just never felt right for me to badger him about it since it would have been for my benefit. So I figured when he was ready he was ready.

Well, last month, our family lost our hero. Pap was 70. Lung cancer took him from us.

Our last conversation was about 20 minutes before he passed. It was about a 383 stroker in his garage. My parents, my sister, and my aunt and uncle all said his voice was much clearer when we were talking. I like to think I gave him one last burst of energy. I'll miss him the rest of my life.

But what sticks with me is something he told my aunt.

He said he never was able to figure this car out. A big part was life getting in the way. But it's never, ever run quite right no matter where the timing was, or how the carb was tuned, even before it started making noise.

He told her it's my car to fix, it's up to me.

I'm not super mechanical but it's time to learn. Because I will fix this car with my own two hands if it kills me.

As for the other 3 cars? The Foxbody is also mine- that car is the one he set up exactly how he wanted it. It has parts that he designed himself. It's staying in this family forever.

The National is going to my aunt. This is a good thing as she loves it more than I do. Which is saying a lot.

The Chevelle is up in the air to be honest. Long story.

I can't really work on any of them right now. Another long story. But as soon as I'm able to, I'll be posting updates.

'68 Camaro SS (454/TH400, possible L78/M22) LeMans Blue, black deluxe interior, black vinyl top. 3.73- mostly Day 2.
'89 Mustang GT- 3.55, subframe connectors, muffler delete, and a couple other minor mods. Exactly as he wanted it, so how it shall stay

Also:
1995 Ford F-150 XL
2004 Dodge Ram Hemi GTX- #192 of 433

Ain't no fun in viewing your car as an 'investment'. Get out there and beat on it!
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to JRC99 For This Useful Post:
69M22Z (04-22-2022), dykstra (04-25-2022), L78_Nova (04-22-2022), L_e_e (04-23-2022), Mr70 (04-22-2022), scuncio (04-22-2022), Too Many Projects (04-24-2022), X66 714 (04-22-2022)