Thread: Tailwheel time!
View Single Post
Old 11-24-2020, 03:26 PM
Yenko Advertising Member

Thanked 4,576 Times in 1,137 Posts

Thanks, men! Yes, Mike, I NEED one of those but unfortunately, I’m about 2.something Million short!

The panel is basic VFR but it comes with a Garmin 660 so I can follow my “pink line” that I’m used to seeing.

SuperDave’s Aviation Lesson 101:

For those that don’t know anything about aviation, the old skool way of flying was done by “pilotage” which is looking at a map and finding landmarks such as lakes, roads, and large structures. Then you fly to those points with your finger on the map and away you go! The next step up from that was using VOR and NDB ground based navigation units which sent out a radio signal you tuned your instruments in the cockpit to. A needle on the gauge would point to the ground based navigational aid and keeping the needle straight, you’d fly to the navigation station and away you go! Next up from that was GPS which displays latitude and longitude navigation fixes known as “waypoints” in a digital version of what’s called a “flight plan”. The flight plan is a list of points between A and B that you intend to fly to so you can reach your destination. Between these points a magenta line is displayed on your instrument screen. Basically, a purple line that you keep the plane following. We do that at the airlines and the accuracy, as you know, is spectacular. This has come to General Aviation (the small plane guys) and makes getting from A to B extremely simple. The GPS also displays other things that we need to know like frequencies, areas we can’t fly into due to FAA restrictions, and terrain/traffic information. Very handy.

The engine is a Franklin 150hp, and if you research those, you’ll see that they were originally designed for cars! So basically, I bought a flying car.

350hrs since major overhaul Mike, and 25 since top with new cylinders. Should last me a but before I drop the 392 Hemi in there!

Cheers
Dave
Attached Images

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to A12pilot For This Useful Post:
big gear head (11-24-2020), earntaz (11-24-2020), m22mike (11-24-2020), markinnaples (11-24-2020)