Thread: Erica Enders
View Single Post
Old 08-31-2019, 05:42 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default Jimmy daniels wins fourth consecutive dodge hemi challenge

https://s3-prod.autoweek.com/2EDC0A8...06C5B407B1.jpg

JIMMY DANIELS WINS FOURTH CONSECUTIVE DODGE HEMI CHALLENGE AT NHRA U.S. NATIONALS
Opening session showcases Mopar-powered 1968 Dodge Dart and Plymouth Barracuda Super Stock cars

Jimmy Daniels and crew have the winners circle routine down pat. This is their fourth Dodge Hemi Challenge.

Jimmy Daniels of Yardley, Pennsylvania, is just 23 years old, but already he has four consecutive NHRA Dodge Hemi Challenge triumphs, and an angel riding on his shoulder, perhaps.

The No. 1 qualifier ran down Rich Locker with an 8.576-second, 156.01-mph in his 1968 Dodge Dart during Friday’s opening session of the Chevrolet Performance U.S. Nationals at Lucas Oil Raceway at Indianapolis.

Locker, who reached the final round on a bye run, finished 0.0664 seconds behind with an elapsed time 8.629 seconds at 153.67.

“We had some tough battles to get this fourth win. The semifinal was very close,” Daniels said after registering his 19th consecutive round win here.

“This Hemi Challenge is everything. We work all year for this. It means a lot for us. Special thanks to Dodge for continuing to support these cars and to the NHRA for allowing them to have the Hemi Challenge here in Indy,” he said.

“Ray and Dave Barton provide us with awesome horsepower. If it wasn’t for them, we would not be able to do this. I’m surrounded by my family here this weekend: my father, my mother, my girlfriend and my grandfather are here. This race is probably the coolest win of the four for me. Earlier this year, I lost my grandmother unexpectedly. We know she was watching over us tonight.”

Daniels launched first with an outstanding .021-second reaction time (.000 is perfect). But he spun his tires right away, allowing Locker to open a lead. But at about 500 feet down track, Daniels powered past him to claim the $15,000 winner’s share of the purse and custom-designed, 42.6-pound trophy.

On the eve of the five-round specialty race, Daniels had said. “It’s going to take a lot of consistency, a lot of fine-tuning by Ray and Dave Barton, and I have to do a good job on the tree.”

He scored the hat trick Friday night.

“It’s just incredible for Dodge and Mopar to put on such a cool event during the biggest drag race of the year,” Daniels said. “It means a lot to my father and myself. We came out to watch the race in 2003, before he started racing it in 2007.”

This 19th edition of the Hemi Challenge showcased Mopar-powered 1968 Dodge Dart and Plymouth Barracuda Super Stock cars. The cars feature distinct race packages and are for use solely on the drag strip. The Dodge Dart and Plymouth Barracudas are precursors to the modern-day package car, the Mopar Dodge Challenger Drag Pak.