View Single Post
Old 07-15-2018, 02:21 PM

Thanked 3,399 Times in 1,242 Posts

I think any quality built, correctly restored or nice original type car is still going to attract it's own captive audience. The common cars that are heavily modified are usually the ones I see people passing by without people giving them a second look. Take the whole Pro Tour thing that was so hot 5-7 years ago? Now guys are listing those cars on the cheap and many people will pass them over. Pimped out dash boards full of after market gauges, seats that look like they belong in a speed boat. big brakes, and rubber band tires on over sized wheels is turning a lot of people off where I see a large push looking back to originals. Myself included.

I've seen the race cars going dirt cheap as well, but look at the reasons why? Engines are becoming very costly to build. Competition is stiff, and everyone and their dog is running turbo's and LS configurations so many are giving up on building another drive train to try and compete. On top of that are all the tracks that are closing up. My local track closed 7 years ago and it's 2.5 hours to the nearest track now.

While I knew muscle cars back in the 80's growing up, I wasn't really around in the late 60's to early 70's (I was only 5-10 back then) but sure grew to appreciate them as I got older. The same holds true today as peoples tastes do change. Years ago, I liked Day 2 muscle cars and while I still do, I'm digging the original cars and survivors much much more. I also never liked the 30's and 40's hot rods 10-20 years ago but at my current age (52), I'm starting to look at the idea of a nice 32 Ford as a cruiser to be added to my muscle car collection. I think that I'll soon be adding an old hot rod to the mix, and I never grew up with these kind of cars either?

Like it was said above...it's cyclical and tastes change. My thoughts are that they will always run full circle with true car guys, and many of today's kids will grow and mature into car guys. Also seeing the younger guns starting to develop an interest again. My 13 year old wants to build a muscle car with me and his buddy at 13 is also about to build a muscle car with his grandfather. These two will help spur others in their circles and that's how it all takes shape. Two become 4 and before you know it there's another cyclical surge once again.

Here's what I'm looking at buying into these days. (A couple from a show I was at yesterday)

Last edited by NorCam; 07-15-2018 at 02:23 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to NorCam For This Useful Post:
ruralrte66 (07-15-2018)