View Single Post
Old 12-18-2020, 10:40 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verne_Frantz View Post
Well, I just got off the phone with him. The car had no vibration at all before the engine rebuild. It was run without all the pulleys, trans and flex plate disconnected and the vibration was still there. He even pulled the balancer and stuffed a cardboard tube on the crank to keep the oil from running out and it still vibrated.
Supposedly, the crank was retested for balance and passed. I suggested he find a good shop to check the crank again, making sure the rod journals were ground at the same distance from the crank centerline, and weigh the rods and pistons again.

He's sending me the carb to go through and fix the lean issues.
I told him to skip the octane booster and lead substitute in the future.

Verne
Verne to me if that engine had no vibration before the rebuild but developed one after the rebuild, something was not done right then. Sounds like the engine is completely apart now. Going to have to go thru everything again with a fine tooth comb and see what was done and was it done right. Have the rods checked for out of round and straightness and have them magged for cracks. Sounds like he had the crank double checked and its fine. So now take a hard look at the rods like i mentioned and then the pistons. Check pistons for cracks and piston pins too. Check push rods, lifters, rocker arms, etc. There is definitely something wrong inside. Even get the engine balanced while he is at it. It doesnt cost a bunch and you know everything is good. What kind of carb is this engine using? A Q-JET?

Last edited by RALLY; 12-18-2020 at 11:16 PM.