View Single Post
Old 04-02-2018, 06:00 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 4,422 Times in 650 Posts
Default Alternate Repro R59 Overhaul

Since this battery was "dead", I decided to cut the top off and see what was inside. Didn't have anything to lose.

I used a thin blade and hand-cut the top off the battery case. I wanted to control the entire cut. This is what is under the "top".

Although the labels were removed, this appears to be an Odyssey PC-925, available from a number of different sources online.

It is mounted in a large amount of glue or urethane. I carefully used heat to release it. The top plate on the Pc-925 melted a bit. The area on the back that looks burnt is actually residual urethane and part of the case. Now be careful doing this, as I dropped the case on the ground, and it cracked! I was able to mend it with some 3M plastic urethane.

While assisting the Chevy inspector at Barrett Jackson, we encountered many cars with the tops cut off these R59's. However, futile attempts to secure the tops were the norm. I used two heavy duty window shutter magnetic catches and set both pieces in urethane. My fingers are pointing to the flat metal pieces the magnets will be attracted to. Now the top is extremely secured!

I had to fine tune the cut surfaces so the top would lay flat on the case. I haven't purchased a replacement PC-925 as of yet. But if you have one of these cases laying around, here is one method of making it useful again.

1966 Chevy Caprice 427-390
2012 Chevy Camaro RS Convertible]

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CC Rider For This Useful Post:
67 Nova Boy (07-19-2023), 68bronze (04-05-2018), L_e_e (04-03-2018), mockingbird812 (04-02-2018), NorCam (04-02-2018)
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...