View Single Post
Old 08-09-2020, 04:51 PM

Thanked 3,399 Times in 1,242 Posts

The tallest I would run for skinnies on the front is a 6.40.15 tire. The smaller 25" tires look disproportionate IMHO and the larger ones at 28" tend to over stuff the wheel opening. If you plan to run it on the street and want to retain that natural stance with stock wheel opening reveal, then look to the 26.5" to 27" front tire sizes. https://www.cokertire.com/tires/640-...blackwall.html

On the back, I agree with Jeff that a 15"x7" is best for the wheels. Any 60 series tire in the 27-28" height range is going to look best, and the L60 Goodyear's are probably a good place to start looking. Kelsey Tire are the makers of vintage Goodyear and have lot of tire selections on their website. Coker also has some decent choices, but it all depends on the look you are after, and the type of driving you plan to be doing. Just keep in mind that these are not your typical highway cruising radial tire and require you to pay attention when driving.

In my opinion, there are no good choices for front radial tires to use on 4" front runners. And please not not look at any of those high speed radial designs that some claim to be right for 4" wheels. They are very short and the modern tire patterns (rain shedding) look horrible on these cars. In saying that...Bias Ply is where it's at on these old cars if you want that nostalgic look.

Also, if you are planning on Vintage Cragar's with the correct spoke design, plan on opening up the wallet as a good set will run you into the 2K range before you fit tires on them. And be sure to use the correct caps without the R logo on them as the early center caps do not show the patent mark. Good luck on your wheel and tire quest. It can eat up your available time when searching for the right combo's. (lol)