Thread: Race Brake
View Single Post
Old 01-30-2020, 03:21 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 4,491 Times in 1,247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZAPPER68 View Post
I believe race brakes were used before line locks came on the scene. As mentioned in my case, with a 4 speed the brake is particularly useful at traffic lights where I live in the mountains...it works exceptionally well and I used it all the time.

I never used the brake at the track because I had a line lock for that exercise. However, without a line lock it would be useful to 'take out the slack' easily by clutch/race brake coordination...thereby possibly preventing a hard launch (& broken parts) clutch cars are notorious for. As we all know, sidestepping the clutch is brutal on the drivetrain which is something we're all guilty of at one time or another :-)

When properly adjusted it will not overcenter and you must hold the lever (in my case the old Hurst shifter handle) to apply the brake. Easy peasy... Over centering will definately be an issue, especially in traffic for the folks lined up behind you with the traffic lights on green and your brakes are jammed. Not a good situation!

Without exception, whenever I was at a car event people always asked me 'what the heck does that lever up by the dash do'? Once they understood the mechanics of the device they thought it was pretty cool and asked where I got it from. With a couple of modifications, I made mine using the same picture as a guide in your initial post.
Thank you for the additional detail -

K
'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph best