View Single Post
Old 11-24-2020, 01:29 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 1,022 Times in 414 Posts

Thanks to all of you. When I talked to Ollie Volpe in 2011, he told me that Dick Moroso drove the car after Tony Pizzi had to go into the National Guard. Dick drove the car at York and the Indy Nationals. I believe it was at Indy that the rear spring perch welds failed and pulled the driveshaft out of the back of the trans. Ollie said that really beat the floor up. This car has been restored and I see no driveshaft damage but if you're going to restore a car you're going to fix that and not leave it alone. I'm going to try going back through the ownership trail and see when it was fixed. The top of the dash looks to have had a tach mounted there in the vintage photo taken at the NHRA Springnationals at Bristol but when I crawled under the dash to look up there I could see that upper dash panel had been replaced. I'll keep looking around and see what else I can find. Some pics inside the passenger door are attached. Ollie said Grumpy Jenkins built the short block for the car and Tony Pizzi did the heads. At the end of the '67 season, the car either had a spun bearing or a cracked block, I'll have to double-check. It sat in Jere Stahl's shop over that winter and Jere told me that he used the car to mock up the first set of small block Camaro headers he made and those went to Penske for his Trans-Am car. I asked Ollie where it went after that and he couldn't remember. All he could remember is he sold it for "peanuts" in his words.
Attached Images

Last edited by 1967Z28; 12-23-2020 at 10:36 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 1967Z28 For This Useful Post:
big gear head (11-24-2020), PeteLeathersac (11-24-2020)