View Single Post
Old 04-18-2014, 02:02 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 2,396 Times in 758 Posts
Default Re: Am I missing something?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ds1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My understanding years ago that swapping bodies was not illegal as long as you disclose it. Additionally the Dynacorn bodies are considered and approved by GM as a restoration part. Dan </div></div>

As for the first sentence: Not to rehash, but you are quite incorrect from a criminal law standpoint.

As for the second sentence: just because GM declares it a replacement part, that doesn't over-rule 100 years of motor vehicle laws. Regardless of what side of the VIN swapping debate you are on, this is the problem with old laws not keeping up with the advance of technology. There needs to be an update of the federal and state laws concerning the issue of replacement bodies.

I'll use an example in the legal field: it is similar to the problem with the old wire tapping laws that were established in the 1920's that were still in effect in the 21st century.

Back in the old days, when the cops wanted to listen in on a land-line telephone conversation, they got their court order from a judge and then literally put a jumper wire (a tap) on a telephone line and listened.

With the advent of the mobile phones in the latter half of the 20th century, the same 1920's legal and technical requirements were still in effect. A bad guy could buy a dozen phones at Walmart and make a single call on each and throw it away. But the existing laws required the cops to follow the original land line method of obtaining a wiretap which took them weeks of paperwork for a phone that they knew was no longer being used. Only after the 9/11 attacks were the laws finally updated to take into account the advance of technology over the ensuing 80 years.

So, back to our previously scheduled program: until SEMA or some other powerful entity takes up the issue and gets a final answer from Congress, it is still illegal. And since the statute of limitations has long since passed on the original race car conversion, there isn't a liability issue there for the original act, but the car is still besmirched and could be subject to seizure by a DMV or law enforcement agency at any time. I wouldn't want to buy a car like that, that has the Sword of Damocles hanging over it.