View Single Post
Old 04-06-2024, 02:35 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 3,040 Times in 1,407 Posts

After attempting to clean the greasy mess of the underside on a creeper, I gave in, pulled the subframe intact and put the body on the rotisserie.

This blue/gray color is everywhere under here and I'd really like to know if this is factory original. It certainly seems to be to me, as it is under every piece that is attached after it was applied. With the crusty, rusty, neglected condition the car was in when I got it, it is hard to believe someone took the time/effort to strip this floor to bare metal and repaint it at some time in the past. If that is what took place here, the incomplete application and uneven coverage would not fit with such an in depth restoration/modification. It is a LOS built car in the 3rd week of Feb. The Mountain Green Z28 that Jon found, and was at MCACN last fall, has a similar application of bluish paint also, but not nearly as much. That car is unmolested and has been judged. How was the blue paint on that car regarded as far as originality ?
The previous pics were taken with a light under the car and do not reflect the color accurately. This next set are with the body rolled over and lit by led ceiling lighting. The pics still don't look 100% the same to me, as looking at the floor in person, but much closer than previously.

All I have used to clean/de-grease is Simple Green.

Unlike the Z, the drain plugs have paint on them too...

Under the spring cup clip nuts and all the clips for both the fuel and brake lines, but not on the clips.

The paint appears to have been sprayed from the center tunnel outward as it gets thinner towards the rockers to the extent that it is barely discernible there and the floor has light rust.

1967 Camaro ss/rs
1938 Business coupe, street rod
2000 FXSTS, original owner, 13k miles
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Too Many Projects For This Useful Post:
69M22Z (04-06-2024), mhurd (04-06-2024)