View Single Post
Old 10-12-2020, 04:25 AM

Thanked 136,490 Times in 22,778 Posts

Quote:
the steering column jacket is supposed to rotate when you shift into reverse
Funny story:

My best friend in college had a 1969 Chevelle SS396/325 HP 4 speed. The car came without a tach. He liked the hood mounted tach the GTOs had and bought a look-a-like. Came in a black plastic housing. Then he went to Lee Chevrolet in Wellesley, MA (Babson remember) to get a quote for install and paint. It was more than the cost of the tach. So I recommended to him that he return it and exchange it for a column mounted Sun Super Tach which was the same price.

He exchanged tachs and we strapped it to the column, got the wires snaked and all hooked up and started the car. Bingo - worked perfectly. So we're sitting in the car waiting for it to warm up and when it did, he puts the shifter in reverse and the tach moves . We are both staring at it like it just spoke to us. Al looks at me and says; "it better move back when I shift into first" which of course it did. He hated that movement so much he would avoid shifting into reverse as much as possible. Without the tach we never noticed the column jacket rotating.

Last edited by Lee Stewart; 10-12-2020 at 04:29 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lee Stewart For This Useful Post:
cruiserofland (10-12-2020), NorCam (10-17-2020)