View Single Post
Old 02-22-2022, 01:14 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 2,961 Times in 1,388 Posts

Now that the lower brace isn't coming out again, it was time to weld on the right trunk drop/extension.

Marked where it would get welded, cleaned the edp off and shot some weld thru primer on. The extension tab is to extend it out beyond the q-panel for welding, as it was too short. I sprayed that with cold galvanizing paint.

As always, I clamp every weld tight for a good fit and clean weld.

With that done, I went back to prepping the q-p. I welded the side/pillar brace on. I then shot all the dressed welds with the cold galvanizing.

Located and installed 2 drill screw studs for the window trim.

After spending a couple hours, tweaking and moving the q-p around, I FINALLY got the fit I was after. Previously the back was 1/4" below the trunk lid when that was even with the left side. Drove me nuts. It's pretty darn close now...

I put the latch on and worked on getting the door to fit the new panel. Door gap is better and good enough to work with from here.

Getting it flush was a bit time consuming. It was twisted all out of shape from the previous q-p skin replacement in it's early life. I'm pleased with it now. Could always be better, but, again it's good enough to move on from for now.

This is what it had before. The top of the door was pushed in as far as it would go to try to match the badly installed skin. It had to be twisted/pulled back out to be flush with the new panel.

1967 Camaro ss/rs
1938 Business coupe, street rod
2000 FXSTS, original owner, 13k miles
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Too Many Projects For This Useful Post:
1967Z28 (03-03-2022), big gear head (02-22-2022), Dave Rifkin (03-05-2022), dykstra (02-23-2022), jbtech (03-15-2022), L78_Nova (02-23-2022)