View Single Post
Old 03-06-2022, 01:10 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 2,961 Times in 1,388 Posts

I'm running out of excuses to not install the q-panel. I'm apprehensive about screwing this up and am procrastinating terribly. I decided to waste some time and spot welded the bumper reinforcement to the panel.

After that I couldn't come up with anymore things I needed to do before removal and final prep, so I removed it and did more sanding off of paint in areas that will get welded. I cleaned all the weld thru primer off and painted the bracket and then it was time. No more excuses...
I brought a tube of bonding glue home from work for the drip rail and got that all set up and applied a small bead to both the panel and car and put the panel in place. Once I had it where I thought it was good, I clamped the rail to compress the glue. Well, the panel slid forward and eliminated the gap at the door... I removed the clamps, reposition the panel and then used drill screws to hold the panel in place and re-clamped the drip edge.

The frame/body tech at work said I had 60 minutes to move the panel around before the glue would start setting and 90 minutes until it wouldn't move at all. I had the panel firmly screwed and clamped in place in 15 minutes and it was noon, so I went in for an extended lunch of 90 minutes.

When I came back out, I spot welded the B pillar while constantly checking the door gap.

Door still closed nice with a good gap, so welded the bottom flange to the rocker.

Proceeded to weld the inner reinforcement/latch panel to the inner structure.

The door now closes with a slight push from about an inch open. With the bad misalignment before, that door needed a bit of a slam to get to close. Very happy with the fit.

Moved on to the roof seam and welded that all up.

As always, drill screws and clamps for a tight fit.

I still need to do the welding to the inner structure inside, but that will require a bit of persuasion to get tight and I don't want to disturb the glue for 72 hours, so is for a later date.

Likewise with the welding at the bottom to the rocker inside the quarter structure. That is always a pita and I was making good progress on the outside, so skipped that until I do the roof.

So, changed out the ends on the spot welder to do the wheel house.

1967 Camaro ss/rs
1938 Business coupe, street rod
2000 FXSTS, original owner, 13k miles
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Too Many Projects For This Useful Post:
67since67 (03-06-2022), 69M22Z (04-07-2022), big gear head (03-06-2022), dykstra (03-08-2022), jbtech (03-15-2022), L78_Nova (03-08-2022), tom406 (12-06-2022)