View Single Post
Old 01-28-2018, 05:16 PM
SCR Sponsor

Thanked 3,139 Times in 914 Posts
Default Some people ask..........what ya up to these days?

I had a perfectly good driver hot rod..................right? What does one do? Take it apart!

Here is my latest endeavor, revisiting my 59 Bel Air.

I will keep the original paint, and the overall look of the car won't change much. I'll even see how much of the original interior I elect to maintain. That's where it stops. My goal is to improve the car in these areas.

-Handling. A nice stiff chassis to take the squeaks and rattles out of the car and maintain a great ride quality. Not that I plan to autocross this, there is definitely room for improvement. I am thinking a 12" wide rear tire which may require mini tubs. 10" wide rubber in the front.

-Braking. It stops well now, it can be better. An engineered chassis and brake system will improve overall braking and thus predictability. I'll be limited in brakes as I am going to maintain a 15" wheel so I have no issue with the hardcore 1964 and earlier events. (I'll just keep the hood closed)

-Comfort. Vintage Air HVAC as well as revisiting the seats. I am wanting to keep the bench seats and the overall feel of the interior. Modern foam in the seat so as I feel a bit more "planted" while in it. I suppose there may be some mods to the seat frame so I can get some lumbar support and perhaps a bit better ergonomics. We will see there. LOTS of sound deadener!

-Power. LS3 / 480hp with 4L70E Connect and Cruise

-Theme. The theme wont necessarily change much. I want a car that looks like it got parked in the mid 60's, and then recommissioned recently. My original vision was a car that could have been parked around Gasoline Alley in mid May of 63-65.

On the docket........................

1. Roadster Shop chassis
2. GM Connect & Cruise power
3. Refinish the underside and engine compartment to the standards of a modern build. I am drawn to an OE feel and sensibility.

Before disassembly...........

Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...