View Single Post
Old 12-09-2019, 05:38 AM

Thanked 3,399 Times in 1,242 Posts

Found another small 1970 related part on the car earlier today. While pulling back the coolant lines I noticed the thermostat housing is part #3972128 which was also used on 70 Z/28's and Vette's. Still had an original AC Delco thermostat in it and will now get cleaned up and reused. Seems that engine builder George Kulp liked his black gasket sealant. He rebuilt the motor and this stuff is everywhere. I'll be changing the fuel pump and the fuel line as it has been kinked in a couple spots and was routed outside of the water pump housing rather than underneath it.

Looks like the late 10E cars might also have gotten a 70 style thermostat housing with #3972128 rather than a 660 housing?

I'll soak this in carb cleaner for a couple of days and clean it up for reuse.

I'll also clean up this AC Delco 195 degree thermostat and test it before I reuse it.

Debating whether I'll pull the motor right out to get better access to cleaning up the inner fenders and the hard lines which were crudely painted.

I'll try washing the inner fenders down with enamel reducer to see if I can knock it back a bit and rid the drip lines they created when they painted them.

I'll also remove the battery tray and treat it to a bath in evapo rust to clean it up a bit. Overall the engine bay just needs a good clean up to unfluff it a bit.
TopRat (12-10-2019)