View Single Post
Old 11-18-2020, 06:39 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 2,556 Times in 1,175 Posts

Assuming you are correct on the frame, the biggest X factor is the engine. Is it frozen?

You can absolutely bank on the following:

Brake calipers will need replaced. Not expensive if doing it yourself and if you are NOT concerned with 100% originality. Lone Star Calipers is pretty reasonable. For more money, and if you are not in a hurry, you can have the originals rebuilt. They will need to be sleeved.

99% of the time the master cyl also needs rebuilt or replaced. If all that stuff is original, I would personally send to White Post for sleeving and rebuilding.

The other X factor is the fuel tank. Was it almost full? If so, you just need to suck out all the old gas and put fresh gas in there. Check for leak at the fuel pump before starting. I have seen cars emerge from long term storage with nothing more than fluid changes, clean gas, brakes, and they drive right down the road. Others seem to leak from every possible source.

I bought a 70 LT-1 that had sat since 1984. Replaced the MC and calipers, put clean gas in the tank and put on an electric fuel pump (temporary) and had it up and driving in less than a week. Did not even change the hoses and belts, although I will.

Assuming engine is not locked, and assuming you are doing this yourself, you should be able to get it on the road for less than $2k. I have no idea what it would cost to pay someone. I haven't paid anyone to work on a car since I was 17.
Edgemontvillage (11-19-2020), scuncio (11-18-2020), tom406 (11-18-2020)