View Single Post
Old 03-13-2019, 03:51 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Back in the 70s I had a new 69 Camaro SS350 - 4 - 4:10s as my first car and a DD.I still can't believe I drove the car through the winter with just 2 snow tires and 2 50# bags of sand in the trunk.

I lost my job and had to sell and I bought a 68 L79 Nova 4SPD.Sold that one and bought a POS 64 Chevelle 327/300 4SPD (wide).I put a cam and kit in it and it ran ok.Maybe a low 14 car.I added a 12 bolt with 4:88s and 26" M&H slicks.Holly sh+t.It was a rocket.It ran 12.90s which was very fast back then for a SBC.Guys with BBCs would bow out for a run once they saw the car go.I could tell you some stories on that one.

After that car I bought a brand new 73 Vega Panel Wagon Delivery.$2452.lol.One seat and no carpet.Dark green and a 3 SPD on the floor.I got the idea when I saw Jungle Jim's Vega Wagon Pro Stock.It made it through one winter all stock.I pulled the motor and sold it back to the dealership I bought the car from.Belmont Chev Olds.They just happened to need one at the time and their customer could not afford new.Back halfed the car with a Dana and L60 Ingelwoods inside the fenders.No big deal today but back then people flipped out.I Dropped in the 327 from the Chevelle.Not fast enough.I dropped in a long rod Shafroft motor with a tunnel ram,Nitrous and a Glide with a brake.10.30 and still drove it on the street.This was in 1978.

I lived with my parents and had a big paying job.I always had 3 or 4 fast cars.I bought a LS6 Chevelle and pulled a trailer with the Vega on the back.I would drive into Harveys burger joint and ask if anyone wanted to run the Vega.If no one was interested I said."How about the tow car?"lol

Then the L78s came up.Oops.Am I running off at the mouth?lol.I know some guys won't believe me but it all happened.I need to get some pics posted.Oh ya.The DDers stopped after the Vega.

Last edited by ZiggyL78; 03-13-2019 at 03:59 AM.