View Single Post
Old 06-21-2019, 02:40 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

The post above puts it perfectly - not sure if it could be said any better. Kind of makes me glad that I have owned my car since 96, and it has always been an original and unrestored car. Since several well known Camaro collectors have known about the car for years before I owned it, I am 100% secure in the provenance of the car.

That being said, cars like this make me kind of angry because they dilute the market for the honest, original cars out there, and they also make the notion of owning the real McCoy less attractive, simply because of all the hoops you have to jump through to make sure you are not getting taken. It's a sad state of affairs, with a lot of people sharing the blame.

I saw this article posted on the BAT site, and I thought it was interesting and a bit relevant to this discussion:

“These days, there are a lot of cars going through auctions, and trading hands, that are just fake. That’s just unfortunate. So I created the ultimate fake–a car that everyone knows there’s only one of. Yet here’s a second, completely documented car. It’s scary.

“When I first showed this car with the documentation, man, did I get an earful. I’m not trying to fool everyone. I’m just showing everyone that it’s being done. It’s something everyone knows is happening, but I’m one of the first to say ‘Hey, look at what’s going on.’ These days, you can’t really believe what you read anymore. You have to do your homework if you’re going to shell out for a big-bucks car, even with documentation.

“People are wondering whether I’m trying to rip someone off, but at the same time I’ve received plenty of pats on the back for standing in front of a clone instead of hiding behind it.”

https://www.hemmings.com/blog/articl...t-camaro-z-28/