View Single Post
Old 05-25-2020, 06:48 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default Day 2 67 Camaro restoration

Early last year while trolling the craigslist ads I stumbled across a very solid single family owned 67 Camaro. The car is a Granada Gold 327/2 barrel powerglide, factory console, standard gold interior coupe. It is a 54k mile original car, unregistered since 1978. The car was sold new in late 66 (Car was built second week of September and is body number 932) at Stewart Chevrolet in Colma (San Francisco), CA. After a couple phone calls I bought the car sight unseen. I live in Southern California and the car was still in the San Francisco Bay area so going to see the car was nearly impossible between work and several other prospective buyers showing interest in the car.

When I received the car in February 2019 I was delighted to find most original components were intact. Some original pieces were missing including: Harrison radiator, master cylinder, some heater hoses, water pump, and thermostat housing. The original AIR pump is intact and even the original alternator.

I wanted a solid car that hasn't been messed with so I could easily do what I want with the car. I always wanted a big block Camaro. Over the years I have become more and more interested in Day 2 type cars and thought a base model 67 would be perfect for me to do what I envision a Day 2 car would have been.

Since the car is a base small block car it'll retain it's 327 emblems. I'm not building a "sleeper" or a Clone. No SS badges either. I want the car to look like a guy bought the car from the old lady down the street and turned it into a serious street machine. Sure it's got a big block now, but who had time (or extra money) back in the day to change the emblems

Anyway... the car looks good in the pictures. I received A LOT of heat on the Camaro.org site for altering and restoring this car. In the pictures the paint looks good. It has mostly original paint but unfortunately the car was stored under a tarp for decades. Moisture would gather under the tarp and over the years created a lot of surface rust on the decklid, roof, hood, tops of fenders and 1/4s.

Back in March I decided to start the restoration. I have spent the last year collecting parts and decided now was a good time. Now I understand this isn't a real day 2 car, it is a day 2 tribute. Thanks to Jose, jbtech, for talking me into starting a build thread on this site! His 67 and mine are both early production cars

**Update 10/21/2021** When I purchased this car from the estate of the deceased owner I was told he was the original owner of this car. This was not true as Paul (fsc66) discovered. I was told the car was sold new at Stewart Chevrolet and the car had very old Stewart Chevrolet license plate frames. I decided to run an NCRS report and discovered this car was sold new at Ellis Brooks Chevrolet in San Francisco. Paul discovered my car for sale at Stewart Chevrolet in 1969 in a few San Francisco Chronicle ads. The car was listed for $1895 in November 1969. Paul discovered this with my plate number whilst searching newspapers.com I am not sure how many previous owners there were to 1969 but probably only one. I would assume the original owner purchased it new at Ellis Brooks and traded it at Stewart.
Attached Images

Last edited by Chuck_Burg; 10-21-2021 at 07:16 PM. Reason: New Information Acquired
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Chuck_Burg For This Useful Post:
Arrowsmith (05-25-2020), dykstra (03-26-2021), HawkX66 (06-04-2020), jbtech (05-25-2020), L_e_e (05-25-2020), PeteLeathersac (05-26-2020), Stihl (03-10-2024), thomam (11-28-2020), YenkoYS-199Stinger (05-25-2022)
Attachments - The Supercar Registry x-pipe.jpg x-pipe 3.jpg x-pipe 2.jpg Windshield.jpg
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...