View Single Post
Old 05-28-2020, 11:21 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 2,553 Times in 1,174 Posts

I am normally not a fan of rattle can paints. However, years ago I tried using Duplicolor Engine paint on a few items. Says it can withstand temps to 500 degrees. I don't know if it REALLY has ceramic in it, but I really don't care. After getting the surface really clean and wiping down with acetone, spray the part with two thin coats. Let it dry and then bake it at 450 to 500 degrees for an hour. It bakes on so hard it is almost like powder coating. I have been doing this for about 20 years and it is amazing how durable that surface is.

They make several gloss levels of black, so it works great for pulleys and such. Even did a pair of dull looking aluminum valve covers (didn't want to spring for the shipping and $$$ to have them reskinned) and they held up very well.

You WILL stink up the house for a while. Or, if mommy won't let you put them in her new gigantor 909 SS oven, you can always fire up the barbecue and do it outdoors. I can tell you, the surface is not nearly as durable when not cooked.
RobR (05-29-2020)