Thread: Carolina Blue
View Single Post
Old 08-01-2020, 01:46 PM

Default Carolina Blue

Anyone that remembers a previous post about my Chevelle, it's originally Carolina Blue.
I'm painting a 72 El Camino now and I think I see a window of opportunity to get one of my own in the booth soon. So at the paint store yesterday I was discussing my options. Of course no one out here in Arizona seems to have heard of the color, and the paint store that has been in business for decades of course has never had the need to mix that color. Obviously there is no paint code on the car.

Anyone have a good known paint code from any brand of paint that is a good starting point? Or someone that has painted Carolina blue that knows a paint code used? I primarily use BASF products here so I can cross reference just about any brand. Mix formulas are different among the brands but would at least get me close.

My only other option would be to recover a good section of color left on the car and have them color match it. I'm trying to avoid that option for a couple reasons. One, I don't know yet if I can recover the paint left that would be good enough for a match, or whether it would be on a piece small enough to leave at the paint store. Second, they take FOR EVER to do any color matching of any kind. Last time I did that for a customer it was a month before they finally got something for me. So the wait time is ridiculous and something I don't really have time for. So I really prefer to avoid this route at all costs. If I get a window, chances are it'll be a small one and I can't waste time getting the car done with paying jobs waiting.

Thanks,
Larry
Attachments - The Supercar Registry IMG_0124.jpg IMG_0123.jpg D13CA794-28C2-4F49-B050-43EAF349D314.jpg Carolina blue Z.jpg
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...