View Single Post
Old 02-17-2020, 11:38 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 2,130 Times in 666 Posts

Another issue is the stripe color. Garnet Red would have been built with black stripes unless it originally had a parchment vinyl top. Back then it was acceptable to change colors, add options during a restoration so no telling what was done here.

Some very early production Z/28s may have had the D96 fender striping. Chevrolet continually revised optional equipment for the '69 model year. An update to the Showroom Album dated September 12, 1968 states:

"FENDER STRIPING (RPO D96, Body-side accent stripe) included with Rally-Sport and Style Trim Group. Not available with Sport Striping (SS or RPO D90). Available in combination with Front Accent Striping (RPO DX1) or with RPO Z28."

Guessing here, I'd say Z21 & Z22 Z/28s included D96 striping for a short period of time. Per the Showroom Album revision, D96 was no longer included but became optional as of late September '68. As an option D96 is rare, 5,176 cars. At some point, possibly the January '69 revision, the one stripe per car restriction was put in place. This car was built late March and would not have had D96.

Flashy car that needs corrections and updates. At that asking price, needs to have original drive train.

It's only about 2 hours from me. Surprised I have never seen it.