View Single Post
Old 11-22-2022, 03:20 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 2,396 Times in 758 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
Not surprised. About 40 years ago, there were a LOT of guys in that club that would have gone ape chit over this build. Different world today. Starting changing to mostly yuppies in the late 80s. A guy named Rob Siegel had a column in the Roundel (the car club magazine) every month entitle "The Hack Mechanic", and it was awesome. I don't know how long since he quit writing. These days a "diy" column might be about changing the floor mats. Well, maybe not that bad, but you get the picture.
Back in the 1980's I had a grey market 635 CSI Sharknose Euro car in Polaris Silver with black BMW Motorsport stripes. Coolest commuter car on the planet. I used to drive it from New Haven to Boston every week while attending law school. (I'd commute back home on weekends to work on the musclecars). Sold it in early 1990's. Then I got an M3 in 1998 but sold it year or so later. Even in 1998, the tide had turned on the BMW websites. It was all about where to get your oil changed and what oil to request and the best wax for your detailer to use on your car. Ugh. Not one thread on how to work on the car yourself. That was a main reason I went back to the old cars and websites like this where real manly persons (like Dave) do manly things to manly cars.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to njsteve For This Useful Post:
dykstra (11-23-2022), markinnaples (11-30-2022), scuncio (11-22-2022)