View Single Post
Old 11-19-2019, 04:19 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff H View Post
I went through a broker and they did most of the paperwork. But when I went to NJ dmv to title and register, they still required a form that the broker said nobody uses anymore. The broker had a carbon copy form and was able to fill it out and send it to me. Then NJ dmv said the bill of sale had to be notarized in Canada with the Canadian seal, so definitely check with your state dmv to see what they say.
I also live in NJ.

Oh my, where do I begin..... I just purchased a 17K mile, unrestored SS427 out of Winnipeg that was born in Canada (St. Therese), and never left Canada. This makes a huge difference. If the car was imported to Canada and you're taking it back to the states, much easier. If born and raised in Canada and never left, all kinds of BS paperwork (EPA, Homeland Security, Powers of attorney, Canadian ownership docs since there is no title, etc.). A very good friend owns AMJ Campbell in Canada (a moving company who deals with cross border stuff all the time). They hooked me up with Cross Border Solutions, a broker out of Toronto who handled most everything. Car cleared the border and made it here in 6 weeks. Needed to wait another 30 days to get all the original paperwork needed to make it mine. Then NJ required more paperwork. Needed the ownership docs and the bill of sale notorized. Had to get everything re-done. Took 90 days to be able to get my title. Real PITA. I knew what I was getting involved in, but the car was so special, I figured the juice was worth the squeeze. Not an easy process. Just make sure you know what you're getting involved in. NJ was most of the problem for sure. Stupid laws here.

Donny
The Following User Says Thank You to aawtech For This Useful Post:
carnut4life (11-19-2019)