View Single Post
Old 05-09-2021, 03:55 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 2,396 Times in 758 Posts

Yeah, Lincoln seemed to revel in making the most intricate of Rube-Goldberg type of contraptions to do the simplest thing.

On my 71 Lincoln, the power doorlocks use a solenoid and relay system to activate the vacuum powered door locks. You press the button on the armrest and you hear a cacophony of noises starting with a thud, and then a clunk, and then a satisfying sigh as the door lock knob slowly rises upwards. A totally unecessarly conglomeration of technology that their buyers seemed to crave back in the day.

The same kind of insanity exists with the automatic air conditioning system that has no fan speed choice. You only have a temerature selection to choose with a lever. Every 17 to 19 seconds the system cycles between through the various top, middle and floor vents in the car to get the climate to whatever you thought you chose. It's really annoying for someone like me who likes to have that dash vent blasting frigid air directly at me. And did I mention it is also is powered by half a dozen relays, solenoids and vacuum pods?