View Single Post
Old 10-21-2019, 07:37 PM

Thanked 3,399 Times in 1,242 Posts

Just got off the phone with the engine builder who went through the motor about 5 years ago. I learned an interesting story about Wayne Harmon's former girlfriend in that call today. Apparently she decided to run a bunch sugar though his cars and this engine got the same treatment. Wayne pulled the motor out of the car to protect the DZ block and installed an LT-1 into the car to serve as his driver. He had the 302 on a run stand in his shop and would run it from time to time. I guess she nailed his cars, his truck and this engine which was run not knowing she had hit the stands fuel tank with sugar as well. It was brought to the machine shop as a complete running long block that needed to be gone through because of the sugar that was run through it (very nasty woman).

You can see from the pictures that the sugar had gummed up and solidified in the lifter valley as well as around the heads. The machinist took it all apart to hot wash and clean the block and heads thoroughly before measuring everything out on the rotating assembly. It had all original internals and I am told that once it was cleaned, it received new rings, bearings, a camshaft and a timing chain before going back together as standard bore motor. He also recalled doing valve seals on the heads and has sent me some pictures of it as it was coming apart.

Looks like it had O rocker arms when it came to him but they were changed at some point after that? He thinks he might be able to dig out the invoice for the work he performed on the motor and may be sending that to me when he has time. Today, I also grabbed a couple pictures of the DZ carburetor that Jeff Boone sent out to be restored for the car prior to selling it to me. Carb is dated 2nd week of October 69 and is very nicely restored. Just need to find an original choke rod as that went missing at some point. Oh yeah, and a set of O rocker arms. lol

ScottG (10-22-2019)