View Single Post
Old 08-22-2019, 03:30 PM
SCR Sponsor

Thanked 3,062 Times in 900 Posts

I had an RST in my 67 Nova with a 422 SBC. I thought the clutch was very smooth on engagement and held power VERY well (600 flywheel).

On a different note, I have an interesting challenge with a customer car (sorry to get off the question)

This was a car (78 Trans Am) that was purchased from a well known internet dealer (who will remain nameless) sight unseen.

The clutch was not right in the car nor was the transmission. There also was a vibration that was strictly limited to engine RPM. I pulled it all apart, changed the clutch, machined the flywheel, corrected the clutch geometry in the bell housing, and reassembled. This was a Luk clutch in a stock Pontiac 400 with a stock bellhousing to boot. The clutch chattered.

Pulled it all back apart again. Checking all of the measurements, torques, etc. The bellhousing concentric measurements were within tolerance. What was off and causing the chatter.....................the flywheel was not square on the flywheel grinder when machined. When I dial indicated the face of the flywheel, it measured -.004 on one side and +.0065 180 degrees apart (over .010 runout). The flange on the crank had less than .001 runout.

I am picking up the clutch and flywheel today from a different machine shop who remachined the flywheel (square), and has balanced the clutch and flywheel as an assembly. The flywheel was out of balance by a fair amount exaggerated by the clutch.

I can post the results when I get the car back together. My point......check these things when they are coming apart and going back together. I could have saved myself a fair amount of time, labor, and BS had I done that.

Tim
The Following User Says Thank You to napa68 For This Useful Post:
67 Nova Boy (08-22-2019)