View Single Post
Old 01-01-2019, 06:35 AM

Keith...wow, what a car and what history! I am reading between the lines here, so I assume your dad was a GM employee...possibly at the Tech Center in Warren? And then did you go to work for GM?...that's how I figure you got to go for a ride-along with Jim Ingle (even though you were driving). Glad to see you were smart enough to hang on to such a rare and cool car with family history. If your dad was connected high up at GM, then he could pretty much get whatever he wanted.

I have some questions about my Nova's engine, but Harry says he can't answer them. I know from the build sheet that it was ordered with a 350 L48, which is the same engine that the '74 Nova police car prototype had when the LASD police car test were done in May '74. My car still has the numbers matching engine, but it has Z28 heads that have the part number 330545., and it doesn't have a stock, smooth L48 cam. I know that The LA Sheriff Dept and the first civilian owner, Hollywood film editor Woody Smith didn't do changes to the motor, so that leaves Rick Mahoney, the LA Zone Office's Fleet Sales Manager. Was it common for Chevy execs to skirt the GM rules and build engines that weren't within corporate guidelines? Harry Hammond said he didn't think the engine would've been built by Flint, and he said he was unaware of the mods. I'm in the process of pulling the engine out and will post photos on here of what I find. I know this is a very strange car, and it is an important part of Chevy's police car history. Also, before I forget, Harry said Jim was no slouch in the driving department...he did a lot of the driving of the Nova police car prototype at the Proving Grounds.

Thanks for posting the photos...much appreciated!

PS...Igo, no big deal, but I'd like to see them if you find them. Thanks