View Single Post
Old 05-16-2020, 05:09 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 2,048 Times in 518 Posts

This thread reminded me of a 1969 Z/28 I inspected years ago. I'm afraid I don't have a picture (pre-iPhone days) but I looked up my notes. It was a color change Cortez Silver car that was wearing mid 80's mag wheels and had been stored for a decade or more. There were two correctly dated AD rallys stacked nearby that were taken off in the 80s, it had a dated BU rearend, correct clutch fan, etc, but I couldn't find a VIN on the block (decked as I recall). Besides being an early build, it was a Van Nuys car, so obviously no X codes.

The transmission was stamped with both the correct partial VIN (9L50683x), and a production stamping of P9P13 C. The C was obviously stamped separately, as it was apart from the rest, not quite in line, and stamped notably deeper. The C stamping with a September 13 1968 assembly confused me, as it was too early for the documented October A/B/C suffix addition at the plants. But the build date on the trim tag was 10E, or 5th week of October, so I concluded that the C was added somewhere in the time between the initial assembly of the transmission, and the final assembly of the car.

Without pictures and a car to look at, I realize this is all anecdotal, but I thought I'd share my experience.
The Following User Says Thank You to tom406 For This Useful Post:
Rumbleguts396 (05-16-2020)