View Single Post
Old 03-09-2023, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by COPO View Post
Seems like new brake pads and new brake fluid / bleeding lines would be a quick and easy project that would take less than a day to tackle and would be pretty inexpensive. Getting the safety items rectified first makes a lot of sense.

You can then tackle a tune-up and address engine mechanical items as a next step and perhaps have someone experienced lend a hand to diagnosing the problem. Nothing like a knowledgeable old timer to save you hours of work and $'s with a quick diagnosis.

Really agree with the previous poster to break things down into smaller tasks and tackle one at a time to keep expenses down and make progress and achieve some satisfaction you're moving forward.
For the brakes, it's got 4 wheel drums. I'm dead set on swapping to discs on the front, so that's costly. I don't want to put money into the drums at this point, I understand that if I went through them properly they'd work fine on a cruiser, but I'd just feel better with discs on it. Dad and I came to that conclusion about 10 years ago, and Pappaw did agree, it just never materialized.

My buddy's dad is a mechanical wizard so I might have him come take a look at it. I miss my knowledgeable old timer. (We're coming up on a year, as well.)

It seems like I jump around on this car a lot because I do. I have pretty bad OCD so whatever thought pops in that I want to do, I get excited, run with it, blab about it, and then the reality sets in and it rarely happens lol.

So for right now, it'll sit in the garage, I'll work on a couple smaller projects on other vehicles to get them where they need to be, and come back to it knowing it's safe in the garage.

'68 Camaro SS (454/TH400, possible L78/M22) LeMans Blue, black deluxe interior, black vinyl top. 3.73- mostly Day 2.
'89 Mustang GT- 3.55, subframe connectors, muffler delete, and a couple other minor mods. Exactly as he wanted it, so how it shall stay

Also:
1995 Ford F-150 XL
2004 Dodge Ram Hemi GTX- #192 of 433

Ain't no fun in viewing your car as an 'investment'. Get out there and beat on it!