View Single Post
Old 10-29-2020, 02:03 PM

Although many photogs will have you sign a release, it is not required. If I was shooting your car for an article a release is not necessary. By running that photo and story in a publication the words and photos become the non exclusive property of the publication.

For many, having the story in a magazine is cool enough and a proud moment. The publications however can use the photos in any way including advertising in perpetuity.

Unless the photog retains the rights, once they get paid they are no longer their property.

A photo of YOU with the car/bike/truck etc is quite different...

If I snap a photo at a public event and you happen to be in the photo then you are considered "in the public eye" and have "no expectation of privacy."

If I run a photo with you with your car then you are considered a "model" and a release is required because you own your own image.

In a nutshell, most people think it is cool to see their car in a place they didn't expect. More often than not if you contact the publisher or company that used the image and explain that the car is yours, you may find that they will send you a copy.

JP
Automotive author & journalist

jpemerson.com

Last edited by JP Emerson; 10-29-2020 at 02:09 PM.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to JP Emerson For This Useful Post:
bobm67 (10-29-2020), dykstra (11-01-2020), jerry455 (10-29-2020), Lee Stewart (10-29-2020), olredalert (10-29-2020), scuncio (11-15-2020), Xplantdad (10-29-2020)