View Single Post
Old 02-01-2024, 11:09 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 4,495 Times in 1,248 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67since67 View Post
I'd have thought that top sitting off to the left would have been on the body previous to final assembly??
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Spears View Post
Also why are the wheel covers on the car They were in the car to be installed at the dealer/
And - down the rabbit hole I go -

I'm just spit balling, perhaps like everybody else, but I can think of a couple things:

For the top:

Maybe it's unrelated and just extra stock sitting there. You can see a bunch of cardboard boxes that look like they were just left there because there was a vacant spot to put material.

Or - maybe it's not a normal part of the process but they missed just the one and it is sitting there awaiting the correct vehicle.

In the truck plant the axles came in 5 lug, 6 lug, or 8 lug hubs. We used to have a whole library of "wrong" tire/wheel assemblies sitting at the install area in case we had a wrong axle. The corresponding "wrong" wheel would get installed so that the line could keep running and it would get fixed out back in heavy repair.

Something like that;

Or - maybe that was the process. Everybody wants their part to be the very last one put on. It is a constant battle to push workload upstream in the process.

For the hubcaps - my guess - staged publicity photo. If the work area is relatively clean and there aren't a bunch of people around, that says to me "staged photo".

K
'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph best

Last edited by Keith Seymore; 02-01-2024 at 11:13 PM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Keith Seymore For This Useful Post:
67since67 (02-01-2024), dykstra (02-02-2024), L72copocamaro (02-02-2024), L_e_e (02-02-2024)