View Single Post
Old 05-05-2020, 03:53 AM

Question V8 Jeep - Carburetor - Exhaust Stinks!

So.. this is not a question on a SuperCar or even a muscle car. It is on a muscle Jeep!

I have a 1974 Jeep CJ5: AMC 304 V8, Rebuilt engine, Edelbrock intake, MSD Ignition, Holley 650 4bbl, Patriot headers, stainless steel exhaust (no cats). The exhaust exits at the rear of the Jeep.

The carb was installed and tuned by a shop that does a lot of old school muscle and runs multiple race teams. The engine has tons of power and runs really well.

After driving the Jeep my sons and I reek of exhaust smell. My guess would be that it is running rich. When I asked the shop about the issue the response was that the carb is tuned correctly and the smell is what it is.

While it doesn’t quite make your eyes water, It is bad enough that I don’t want to even drive it.

My question is would y’all guess that it is not tuned correctly or with running a 4bbl the exhaust will have a bit of a noxious smell?

I have been thinking if I can’t get rid of the smell with the carb I will either go with Holley EFI but that won’t be cheap or if I installed some high flow catalytic converters.???

Please let me know if I need to provide any other details to figure things out.

Any thoughts are appreciated! Thanks!

1974 Jeep CJ5 - 304 V8, Edelbrock Intake, Holley 650, MSD Ignition, Patriot Headers
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...