Thread: Judging..
View Single Post
Old 01-18-2007, 05:11 PM

Default Re: Judging..

Judging can be one thankless job. For sure, there are poor/bad judges that make it bad for the good ones. Restorers being judges can be a two edged sword. They probably know more about a give car/model that anyone else but people may also see them as being in conflict of interest. Right or wrong people do have their opinions. One thing that really riles people is when a winner goes up to get his trophy and is on a buddy buddy first name basis with the show organizers. People just automatically jump to conclusions about how the guy won his trophy. For the most part, the judges do know the top cars and people involved in the shows. The world is not that big. My sister very successfully showed and judged farm animals for many years. She's sure that she often won based on her reputation and who she was rather than the quality of the stock shown. Many judges are afraid or intimidated and don't want to knock her down a notch or two. Might make them look bad. She knew which animals in the show were the best. Judging has all but ruined some breeds of dogs because judges want to see certain characteristics which are in reality a real health problem. Ask a vet about this. Similar problems can and do show up in judging cars. A judging manual for each car would be a good step. At least there would be a level playing field. Secondly, the judge should always have to explain the order of his picks. All facts. No opinions. I've seen and heard about so many hissy fits because someone didn't win that I would rather just get in the car and go for a nice Sunday drive. More relaxing.