View Single Post
Old 02-26-2020, 10:30 AM
Yenko Advertising Member

Thanked 4,576 Times in 1,137 Posts

I’ve bought many cars sight unseen, through eBay, Hemmings, CL, etc. I think the whole key to doing this is being as educated as possible, knowing what you’re looking at, and having expectations to understand that there may be a few things overlooked when it shows up at your door that are only minor in the overall package of the car even if you’ve done your homework. Communication with the seller is the key to figuring out whether you want to pursue it further. If this person isn’t willing to answer a few questions, or the biggest thing is providing exact photos you request, then it’s not worth your time or aggravation. Me? I trust nobody. Not sure if that’s a good thing, but it’s made me steer away from any “salesmen” pitch I hear and as soon as one red flag is flown on anything I ask. Sort of like when I ask Bob if I can bring a car to MCACN and hear a dial tone.

I have some standard stuff I usually ask: Clear, clean title in YOUR name (not twenty sellers ago), bank loan on the car, what’s the history on it? This gives me a good feel for the seller. I’ve heard many times, “Oh, I boutten’ this here factory rare Ectawhoosits and man, can’t seem to find the time, and I bought lake property...investment....kids....wife..Pluto not a planet anymore...”. So, what I’m hearing is the title isn’t in your name, you can’t register it, there’s more issues here than you describe and you want stick some other moron with all your problems just like the last guy did to you. No thanks!

Always helps to have someone put eyes on it, but if the seller is up front and answers all your questions without hesitation, there’s no reason to doubt their claim. It’s a small hobby world, and for the most part, I think most selling a car usually want the transaction to go smooth on both ends. I’ve never had a bad experience so far GOOD LUCK!!!!!

Cheers
Dave
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to A12pilot For This Useful Post:
Billohio (02-27-2020), PeteLeathersac (03-03-2020)