View Single Post
Old 09-12-2019, 02:53 AM

Thanked 3,399 Times in 1,242 Posts

I don't know if docs are going to trump a car with an untouched trim tag and good VIN numbers, but if the paper is good and the owner history can be fact checked then the paper becomes a tangible asset just as much as the untouched trim tag or the sum of it's parts. Of course we have all seen that anything worth forging, can be done to a masterful degree by others, and that is the unfortunate part of the hobby. The trick today is becoming well rounded in all particulars of a cars pedigree including it's construction, all of it's components, and any owner history or docs that may help substantiate the claims made by the seller/s. IMO, the better the car, the more its provenance should align. There are a lot of turds out there and one must perform their due diligence to weigh the cars authenticity before acting. Anything less would be foolish as the saying goes.

On the 69 Camaro, I happen to like untouched X code tags with original filler, correct construction throughout, factory piercings, date alignment, number matching parts, original stamps, factory broach marks, owner history and of course a host of bulletproof docs. For all of that, there is a premium to be paid, however that's not exactly what I was asking for. I asked for a clean car with specific RPO options list and a clean tag which easily identifies a given pedigree from a glance. That X code simply helps dispel myths and rumors from the get go. Depending on the level of car and the price being asked, some or perhaps many of the above tangibles will need to align. For a #1 driver, I might overlook the block being a mismatch, parts being MIA or a transmission being hurt. On the other hand, for a concourse restoration or a really nice survivor car, it's weight is measured by how much of it is original and factory correct. All of this being said, I would likely consider a non X code car if it presents well and passes the scrutiny of a closer inspection, but I'm still going to give preference to an X coded car that checks out the same in all other areas.

In terms of the 69 cars, I'm pretty knowledgeable, sagacious (there's a word for the day) and have been well coached by others. I know what to look for on most of these cars...and I never discount anything before weighing it thoroughly. Docs inclusive! Thanks for the engaging process of thought Chuck.

Now bring out those Yellow Cars!!!