View Single Post
Old 02-03-2020, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
I am not an engineer, and I don't even play one on TV.

First, from your description, there is not top plate; correct? Just the driver over plate.

What you are proposing is going to put an inordinate amount of excess strain on the anchor system when you lift a normal full size car or pick up. The vehicle will be farther away from each post creating additional leverage that you don't want.

It might be different if you had a top plate and could safely lengthen the top plate to connect the two towers. Even then, you are creating greater loads with increased leverage than what the system is designed for.

I believe you are asking for trouble, and that you will end up pulling anchor bolts or, even worse, cracking the concrete. JMHO; possibly worth what you paid for it.
Hmm...not seeing that.
The only way to create increased loads (a torque moment) would be to lengthen the arms themselves. The distance the columns are from one another is irrelevant. It is the force down at the load point (end of arm) in relation to the column mounting point on the floor. That is the torque moment. That's why on a cherry picker the load rating varies due to how far the boom is extended.