View Single Post
Old 12-11-2018, 01:04 PM

Default Gen 3 Nova's, GM TRUE performance car????

I've been thinking about this for a while now. I really think GM had the Nova as THE PERFORMANCE car after the Corvette back in these years. Even to the point of not letting employees/dealers know? GM was behind there "pony" car Camaro. But for there street-raced straight line performance car, I think they we backing the Nova's.

My take on this is, other than 427 COPO's, your could get basically the same top of the line L78's. Both the Camaro and Chevelle could get the 396/325Hp motor, but Nova it wasn't available. Also BB 396 and A/C? Both Camaro and Chevelle could get 396's with A/C, yet the Nova again NOT AVAILABLE. So now add to the fact that a L78 4 sp Nova is lighter than a L78 Camaro, just seems that GM was looking to keep their compact lightweight Nova and there true street brawler? I know a number of guys that bought these new back in '69/'70. And I do believe that they were actually faster than a local COPO 427 Chevelle that was running around at the time too. I know of a couple L78 Nova's that ran well back then. Headers, curved distributor, jetted carb and 7" slick. These would run consistent mid 11's.

These guys always told me back in the day, very very few L78 Camaro's could run with them. Funny story. A good friend of mine bought and race a new '69 L78 Nova. After doing well running 11.60's he had enough money for a new paint job. See even though were Canadian, he painted it "Stars and Stripes" and was quite well know as "The Stars and Stripes" Nova. Well car is still local, but the owner is going to finish it one day, type of deal and won't sell it back. So he bought another '72. It has a 502 in it and it's getting the Stars and Stripe paint in the next 2 years. He says he doesn't recall loing to a OEM style Camaro.

Thoughts????
'78 Z28 32,000 survivor, Og Yellow paint, AC.
'69 CANADIAN Nova SS 396/350 hp
'67 CANADIAN Nova SS 427 10 sec. driver
'66 CANADIAN Nova SS Race Car
'61 CANADIAN Pontiac Bubble top 409+/4sp (SOLD)
'31 ALL STEEL Chevy P.U. GONE (EX-WIFES NOW)
Attachments - The Supercar Registry norwalk 68 nova.jpg image.png 71 nova lt side shot.jpg
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...