View Single Post
Old 07-10-2019, 07:18 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr70 View Post
LOL...I was looking to buy one of the newly released IROC-Z Camaros back in the spring of 1985 and this is the same type of guy I visited.
He didn't have the one I wanted in stock,so told me he could do a dealer search,for $100.And if I buy the car from them,they would add that $100 search cost to the agreed upon cost of the car @ that time.Was told that ordering one from the factory would cost more $,then if on the lot from them.
If they can't find the car I wanted,my $100 would be refunded back to me,so I gave them $100,and let them search..I was 21 and this was my first brand spanking new car,so I believed them.
1 week later I haven't heard back,so I call and ask for the salesman,he says they are still searching,as nothing nearby has shown up...1 more week,nothing.
I then seek out other dealerships on my own near me and find "Mr.Ed" Schoenthaler has the exact IROC-Z I wanted in stock on his lot @ his now own personal dealership,which was CrossRoads Chevrolet...(Ironically,Ed was the Hi-Po car salesman @ this exact Dealership where I had just left the $100,back in 1970,Fencl-Tufo Chevrolet)
I walked in,saw it,drove it,came to a fair deal with Ed himself,and left that day with my new IROC-Z.
1 day later I call Fencl-Tufo and ask for my $100 back,they ask why?..I tell them I just bought the exact car I wanted a few miles away from them.They are in disbelief and ask to see the car.I drive over & show them.The salesman tells me he doesn't have the key to the cash box holding my money,and to come back in the AM when the Mgr is there..I leave and come back,only to be told the guy with the key is @ an early lunch..I ask what time should I return,he tells me to try around 5PM..I go back @ 4:50PM and find my salesman has left for the day.I then call Mr.Ed and tell them the run around I'm getting here.Ed calls corporate,corporate calls me for details...The next day that salesman is in my driveway handing me $100 back,with a $20 attached,(interest) for the inconvenience.
He later lost his job a few months I was told.I will never forget his name or face.
Mr.Ed later told me that was why he left Fencl-Tufo,because of their underhanded tactics,and that was not the first time that has happened there.
He thanked me for bringing it to his attention,and even the salesman handing my back my money in our driveway was speechless,and asked,"who are you?"
I said, "I'm friends with Mr.Ed."

Great story Rick!