View Single Post
Old 11-30-2018, 01:46 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 3,872 Times in 1,002 Posts

I finally got a chance to sit down and put together many photos of the progress of our Yenko Restoration. We work about 70 hours a week on customer cars and then the rest of the night and weekend is spent working on the Chevelle. Thanks to Jamie Cooper, Joe Griffith and the rest of their crew at Super Car Restorations who have worked tirelessly to get this car in paint for its photo shoot sometime in early January. I cannot thank those guys enough for what they have done for Annie and me. There work is second to none. My resto tech and I spent a weekend at his shop recently sanding the interior floor pans and trunk area and I learned in a very short period of time that there is a reason why body and paint is not cheap when done correctly. It is horrendously labor intensive and high in material costs.
We would also like to thank the dozens of people that have been extremely helpful with technical information, sending us memorabilia and parts and to those that sold us parts with many of those being below what they could have sold them to other people for. We are very grateful for the help from all of you. With rare exception our vendors have also been great to deal with as far as parts supplies and took much interest in being part of the restoration. It was the first time I ever asked for a major break from our vendors in over 35 years of purchasing so I guess maybe it was due.
As you may remember from the original post this car was in excellent condition despite how and where it was stored. We were blessed to find a very solid body and chassis though there was a fair amount of body and frame damage from the accident though nothing beyond saving. I expected the worst when I pulled the urine and feces soaked carpet but amazed that there was absolutely no rust anywhere on this car. As of this date, the floor pans and interior are painted; the rest of the body is about 2 weeks away from being in paint. The chassis is almost completed with drivetrain with only a few parts to be found, restored and installed. There have been many challenges with this car. The biggest one being that I realized, I know a lot about 1970 Chevelles and know squat about 69’s. The other issue was keeping focused to the fact that this is a 69 and NOT a 70. When you have 7 1970 Chevelles in the shop and that is about 90% of your business you tend to forget when you are working on a 69 as you have 70 on the brain.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62r-6vgk2_8
specializing in (only real) LS6 Chevelle restorations

Last edited by Steve Shauger; 01-03-2019 at 04:55 PM.