View Single Post
Old 01-26-2019, 05:53 AM

Here are some photos I took today of my car's 6-leaf rear springs. I have not been able to find a single other GM car that came with 6-leaf rear springs, but many trucks did. My car rides more like a truck than a car.

The springs have two clips...one fore and one aft, and both are spaced approx. 13 inches from the center of their perches. The leaves are 2 1/2 inches wide, and the mounts welded to the axles are 2 3/4 inches deep (measured from the top of the shock mounting plate to the bottom of the axle).

I do not know how these compare to a 3rd Gen Nova with 5-leaf springs as I do not have the corresponding measurements. I believe these springs were fabricated at the GM Tech Center in Warren and are possibly the only set like them still in existence.

The last photo shows the 1974 Nova police car prototype during high-speed lane changing tests at the GM Proving Ground in Milford, MI in March or April '74. That car had the same springs as mine...note its flat attitude and Michigan manufacturer plate (denoted by the "M").
Attached Images

Last edited by 9C1Beater; 01-26-2019 at 08:56 AM.