View Single Post
Old 04-27-2018, 01:15 PM

The Radiator Saga:
I have a displeasure and distrust for repop parts. That said, I had to swallow hard and make a decision on a radiator. The tendency these days are to lean aluminum. I could not find an aluminum that looked both correct and affordable. I zeroed in on a traditional brass 4 core curved neck made by US Radiator. Had I known that I would get something that did not reflect the picture in the catalog, I would not have bought it. To make matters worse, after the fact, I found a REAL curve neck 4 core all recored and correctly restored that the guy I bought the engine from had. Too bad the guy is a total D%#k and I really don't want any more dealings with him*. Besides, the added unplanned cost, since I had already checked off the radiator purchase, well, the money wasn't there and he was waffling on selling the thing anyway.
Back to the radiator I bought from US Rad. The curve neck, probably the most important visual was made all wrong. The picture showed one diameter neck, like the real ones. When I pulled it out of the box, only the 1st 1/2 in. was the correct diameter, then it necked down. On top of that, the neck was not angled up like it should be. Fortunately, I have a real curve neck for my other BB Camaro to go by in correcting this. I took a chrome "J" trap sink drain used in plumbing. I cut to length, removed the chrome and you can see the result. I also added the top rail slots like an original, as well. Total cost= $365

* Did I mention that I even found the guy a correct set of tanks for his '68 Camaro and bought them for him?
Attached Images

69 SS/RS 396 M20 X22 Nor 12B,72B,712 bought 1979
FULL OWNER HISTORY
69 Dick Harrell tribute Day II 427 M20 4.10 X11 76 orig pnt, 711
67 Super Stock 302 Camaro re-creation

Last edited by bbbentley; 04-27-2018 at 09:08 PM.