View Single Post
Old 06-11-2021, 10:17 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 2,964 Times in 1,391 Posts
Default 1971 Chevelle repair

Some of you saw the pics I posted of a friends '71 Chevelle I was looking for parts for.

I work part time at a major collision repair company, although I don't do that work. I have my own back room where I do restoration and modification work for them. There is a frame rack back there and I brought the Chevelle there a few weeks ago. After stripping the front sheet metal off, the shop owner and I straightened the left frame horn that took the brunt of the impact.

I then locked the frame down and put 6 gauges on it to determine where and how much the frame was bent. I pulled the front rails left 5/8" to get them, and the front crossmember, back in alignment.
Once we had the frame looking good, I installed all the used sheet metal I have acquired for a trial fit. It is very close and is well withing acceptable gaps to turn the car around and pull the rear damage out.

The rear damage is causing a twist thru the center area of the frame.

I need to get the body pulled back into shape before we can do all the final frame straightening and check for a diamond, which we assume it will have too. That is the next task. I will turn the car around next week and start on the back.

I did pick up the 1 piece trunk floor, left quarter panel, tail panel and all the wheel houses yesterday, so I have most of what I will need to rebuild the body, once it is pulled out and all the inner structures are back in place.

1967 Camaro ss/rs
1938 Business coupe, street rod
2000 FXSTS, original owner, 13k miles
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Too Many Projects For This Useful Post:
big gear head (06-12-2021), dustinm (06-12-2021), Jonesy (06-12-2021), markinnaples (06-14-2021), olredalert (06-11-2021), ruralrte66 (06-12-2021)
Attachments - The Supercar Registry Dana Z frame straightened 6.JPG Dana Z frame straightened 5.JPG
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...