View Single Post
Old 06-04-2019, 05:51 PM

Default Just a typo on the TrimTag, or not ?

Hi !
While looking for an A-body frame for another car, I found a 1970 Stage 1 coupe on Craigslist "auto parts". It was sold as a frame as so much of the hard to find parts had been removed from it.

I have sent for, and received, the GS Historic Society documentation for this car. The documentation states colors Z for body and 8 for vinyl top, which on the TT would be 58 (Harvest Gold) and F (Dark Brown Roof).
The problem is that it does not have a F on the TT but an E, which would be Parchment. But Parchment was not available as an ordinary option in 1970. Still, it has a Parchment vinyl top on it.
This car has never been restored or even repainted, so it has original paint all over except for the back part of the right rear fender which has bondo and a layer of paint over it.

Now I´m thinking this is what could have happened: an order for this car was sent from the dealer to Buick. Buick checked if everything was ok and sent the order to the only plant that built Stage 1 cars in 1970, that is Flint. That order would be identical to the documentation from GS Historic Society. When the order came to Flint someone by mistake changed the vinyl top color to E and they built the car with a Parchment top and an E on the TT. Now to my question: is this even possible ? I´m asking because I do not think the top has ever been changed.
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...